A few of you already know about how Monday of this week went. I debated writing about the experience but I figure if you actually stick around and read my blog you must do so for some type of entertainment value so here ya go!
I had to go back to my OB Monday for the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I failed miseralby the one hour and had to complete this test in order to rule out gestational diabetes. If diagnosed, the last trimester would be loads of fun with me on a special diet and checking my blood sugar levels regularly.
Anyhoo...I had to be at the office at 8:30 in the morning to have a fasting level taken then drink the glucola. I knew this wasn't exactly going to be a fun experience but I had no idea how bad my morning was fixing to turn. I had to drink 7oz of the awful sugary orange drink this go round. I read the side effects off the side of the bottle as I drank. "Nausea, diarreaha, vomitting, gas, dizziness and fainting" hmm....sounds like good times, huh? I managed to get the stuff done and was handed my time slips of when to report back to the lab for the next three hours. I felt nauseated right away, so I decided to go sit in my car and read a magazine with the air on HIGH. I was feeling a little better with the cool air blowing in my face and was reading all the latest celebrity gossip trying to keep my mind off of feeling yuck. I had 10 minutes until my first check. After that, I could have some water and a few crackers I had been told.
Well...Luke decided to shift his weight and when he did, I threw up all over my car and in my lap. Yep...I was completely mortified and sooo mad! Since I hadn't kept the stuff down, they generally make you come back and repeat the whole process. A nurse had come out into the parking lot so I waved her down and asked her what to do. She said I had to come into the office. Seriously? I have neon orange puke all over the front of my sundress? Is that necessary? Apparently so. They did let me in the back door though. Dr. Jackson gave me the option of staying and trying to finish or coming back. I told him I would have to come back since I didn't live in Savannah and had no other clothes.
Jeremy then met me at a gas station and help me clean up my car while I cried about how embarrased I was and how mad/frustrated I was at the same time. I was not looking forward to coming back and attempting to drink that mess again.
To make a long story short, I called the doctors office and asked what other options I had. They said they would look at my fasting level from Monday and decide from there. Thank God Dr. Jackson is a understanding, sweet man! My fasting level was WAY WAY down,I haven't had significant weight gain, and no history of problems so he is going to let me get by doing a postprandial glucose test. All I have to do for this one is eat a big meal 2 hours before I come into the office. I can handle that!
Needless to say, preggo women, the 3 hour glucose test is not something you want to experience! The nurses in the office tried to reassure me that women get sick all the time. Yeah, I'm sure they do, but how many puke on themselves??? Ahh, still embarrasing BUT it's over now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment